Thursday 5 December 2013

ROOM by Emma Donoghue

I like books, I like reading them, collecting them, even sharing them with others. They're my favorite kind of present, you can never go wrong with a book.
I try to read as much as I can, even when I seem to be too busy to fit anything else into my schedule I find that there's always space for a good book.
I've read Room by Emma Donoghue over the weekend after initially read 30 pages and decided it might not be what I needed at that point. You see, I love kids, I work with kids, I am a 'kid' person so I know how their minds work. This book is from a 5 year old kid's perspective so if you can't stand the nonsense they sometimes come up with, this book is not for you! The book's style remained me of Extremely loud and incredible close by Jonathan Safran Foer, I loved that book but it took me ages to finish it. I don't know if it was because of the story line or writing itself but I couldn't read more that 5 pages at a time so it took me months to get it to the end. I was afraid I'll do the same thing with this book but fortunately that hasn't been the case.
The book's main character, 5 year old Jack, lives with his Ma in the Room, that's where he was born, that's the only place he knows. He knows there's a Bed and Wardrobe, Rug and Wall, Ceiling and Table, TV and Sink, Jack, Ma and Old Nick. He's been captive in that Room all his life but he doesn't know it, for Jack there's nothing else out there, Room is a planet gravitating in the Universe. Ma created a special place for Jack, she knows is not enough but she lives for the moment they'll both get out the Room. It's been 7 years since she's been kidnapped and locked away in the Room, years of waiting, years of trying to come up with a plan that will get her and her son out and away from'Old Nick'.
 If you succeed to get past the first 60 pages or so you won't regret, this book is splendid, you'll find yourself living it,  believing it, you won't be able to put it down.
Do read!
C x

foto: bookdeprived.com

No comments:

Post a Comment